Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Name Change - Updated

The Two Trannies and a Toolbox moniker was fun while this page was just for fun.


We will be changing it and the photo soon because this isn't just for fun any more. When I write letters to influential people for the good of our community, I'd like to be taken seriously.


The innuendo will remain.


Onward!
May


Here are the responses received from various sources, in no particular order:


Name suggestions -


“From the Inside Out”
You know, as representative of the two of you, but also representative of all the kinds of work you do.)


"It's Not Just About the Tools"


I know it's more than shelves, but makes for good (or not) puns...
Shelf Expressions
Shelf Discovery
Shelf Esteem


"Pro Proponents Of Changing Your Components"


Board Stiff (um, no.)
Hammers and Nails (you know, manicured nails.)
Working With Wood (again, no.)
I'm stumped. Get it, stumped? Like a tree stump? I slay me.


Morty's & Tennan's Fine Woods
Rabbet Hill Woodworking
The Biscuit Sisters
Laps And Butts (okay, maybe not)


Girls With Tools?




Comments -


Why on Earth would you change it?


Makayla: I still think humor is the best ice breaker.
Thanks to every one of you open minded, fearless people for your help.
Anonymous: How about incremental changes? Just start with the photo. I'd love to see a photo of you at work... all goggled up and surrounded by drool-inspiring tools. Let the headline be your humor (you're right about humor).
what's wrong with TT&aTB?


can there be a comprimise on the image, like maybe a graphic or more of an artist rendering type of thing? (to tone that part down)????????
May- think your light years ahead of your time- and believe you've come across something that makes people think.... (that part is awesome!)



I don't know you but I think you do have a good sense of humor about it all...


So, I take it the problem is with the term "trannie". I can see how the word might not be PC but I don't have a problem with it and use it myself, but usually for humor. If I'm trying to be 'pc' I will say "T-girl". It's pretty hard to get offended by t-girl and it's an all inclusive term.
Honestly though I like the name. 



Well...I personally am not offended by the NAME of your "buisness", and you know I am not easily offended by much...nor am I of your page... your "fun, humor filled, positive message" IN MY OPINION is not doing you, or any person trying to live the life of a transsexual an[y] favors. You know me May, I am always the life of the party....but If I was to come across your page and I did not know you, I would not want to do buisness with you. I think from a buisness standpoint, the way you are engaging your readers i[s] gross ...unless of course the person knows you...and in which case, I hope you have enough friends to support your buisness.


Mama, go with your gut and let me just offer this: No one was ever adulated for playing things safe.
I am sure that appeals to some people but I do not that think appeals to many people. I know for a fact that if I was to show that to anyone I work with they would all think it was a bad idea. if you want people to treat transsexuals with equal rights and to take them and their differences seriously, I do not think that is the way to do it. I think people will see your site that have no idea what being a transsexual is about and they will think it is something sexual...which is the main misunderstanding already.
Your isea is not a bad one, and I think you are really well written/spoken, but I just do not that your talents doing that will justify or make most people take seriously what you are trying to accomplish.



Oddly enough this reminds me of the time the Gay Chorus I was singing with wanted to a Broadway review and my suggestion to title the show "Faggots Singing Showtunes" was shot down. I still say keep your name because it makes people talk and think and understand immediately what is going on here. If someone else wants to be more PC, they have their own life and they can go be PC all they want over there.


[I] think its a unique title, right to the point and fearless (despite your fear, apparently). If you think the T-Comm needs to lighten up, then you have to bring your own fire to the table. In other words, I think you are just fine the way you (in all aspects of that phrase) and you should continue to strive towards being the best You that you can manage. Frankly, I think you should try out with Logo and Here! and see if you can get a TV show! 


Ok how about you two tape a couple of YouTube shows, real fast "How To" segments that show some of the tips you have been talking about on your wall. I don't think you will have to worry about offending people because you are doing this in a very good spirit, and very tongue-in-cheek. Some people will always be offended, and there is not much anyone can do about it other than to decide not to attach much importance to the their uniformed opinions.


I personally think (not that i have any valid opinion) the use of the word "Tranny" by Christian Siriano kind of coined it as a semi popular buzz word that took a lot of the negative "stigma" off that some people might have thought of in terms of the phrase .... by making it comical it might be more accepted? If nothing else, he helped a lot of people introduce it into their vocabulary - which might not be a good thing to those who view the word in a derrogatory manner.... just my thoughts. LOL I say if soemone doesn't like your blog, Title included, they don't have to read it! You can't be PC for everyone - there will always be some sort of hater but your friends and supporters are all that matter ;)  


Are all those images of cabinets, desks, and wine racks all your work? If it is, your work should speak for itself.
 (Yes, all of it is my work)


I think that TTAT, made up of real people, leading real lives -the real lives that we want to be granted rights, so let them see who you really are. An opinionated, well-spoken, kind, cool lingerie-clad artisan who happens to be a trannie and a VOTER. 



Makayla: At this point, I want a job. Partly just because of the principal of it. I want someone to take a chance, hire a tranny and end up grateful that they did just to prove a point.
Anonymous: Another option: go public.Try to get your story picked up by Huffpost or Oprah or something. It's a good story, I like your story, especially how you said it here.
Personally May, I think you should be just who you are.
for activism use, DYNAMITE
for having a shop or offering a service- may not be..bottom line- you need work, and are a very creative talented person. I admire you for all this energy and work and making people think.

[I] really don't get the stigma. I'm sorry that anyone has to even take such a thing into consideration! It's good to be reminded that people face that kind of discrimination. And I do see it in the face of some of my Christian Conservative friends... they look queasy if I mention gay people... I should start talking about trans folk and watch them pass out.

Being who you are is the best message of all.
As much as it stings to be forced to 'hide your light under a bushel', I think you're right about dialing back the name to something less controversial. Sadly, there are still many people who feel threatened. It doesn't make a bit of sense but sometimes we have to deal with reality, right?
Go forth with courage.
dont change itttt!
No!


  

  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment