Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Special Purpose Tool

I have a "man's tool"
and I know how to use it.


My friends know that's what I call my special tool because of the way it pumps. People want to know "isn't it kind of strange to have one of those and wear a dress?" Not at all. Guys, let me tell you - almost every woman has wanted one of these things for her very own at some point in their lives. Besides, I'm usually not wearing a dress when I'm using it.
I prefer to wear jeans when I'm ah, you know, working. I'm almost always forced to my knees in this line of work so wearing jeans keeps my knees from getting raw while I'm down on all fours.

As you may know, I haven't been working much lately so my "man tool" doesn't get used much any more. Actually it was hardly ever used anyway. I really would get rid of it since it never gets used but when I need it for that special purpose, nothing else will do. It is truly an amazing piece of equipment. Would you believe that I can get it up from zero to 2800 strokes per second?! Now that's fast, I know. Why would you go so fast, you ask?
No, I guess you wouldn't ask...

But anyway, the owners of these tools love them because they understand it's power. I can tell you that mine has gotten me both into and out of some impossible situations. When I was younger and didn't really understand how it worked, I was screwing everything up with it. It was the speed thing, I guess. I kept trying to start at full speed, all 2800 strokes per second at once. You can imagine the damage...I don't want to think about it.

Anyway, I learned to start slow and use a very light touch. Pretty soon, it just slides in the groove and when I finally get up to full speed, the piece is actually resonating. Oh but look out if it gets out of synch. It will grab your tool and shake you violently. You that have been there know what I'm talking about.


If you are a proud owner of a Sawzall or any sort of reciprocating saw, you know how valuable they can be. You also know that they can do some damage when trying to start a plunge cut.

Plunge cuts using a reciprocating saw:
There are really two ways to get this cut started. One method (the one I usually use) is to hold the saw "light in my hands" and apply pressure lightly and slowly until the blade starts to create the kerf. The other way is to plant the shoe of the saw firmly against a solid surface and hold the saw down with all your weight. With either method, concentrate on keeping the saw from moving forward in it's kerf because if it does, even slightly, the blade will knock itself out of the cut.

Lets say that you want to cut a piece of base board that is already attached to the wall. Mark your line of cut with a pencil or score a line with a knife. The knife cut will help guide the blade while it starts it's kerf, especially if you make a V cut.
I've never tried this but the thought occurred to me just now - A block of wood temporarily screwed to the piece you want to cut would guide the blade very well. As an added benefit, the block would protect the "good side" of the piece you're cutting.

Once the blade has made it all the way through the base board, adjust your speed so that the saw isn't "fighting" and trying to push and pull the work. There is almost always a "sweet spot" where the saw and the wood work together. Adjust your speed and pressure, you'll find it. Tip: Do not cut the caulking along the top of the baseboard until you've made the cut. The caulking helps hold the base board to the wall, thus reducing vibration and the possibility of the saw getting in a bind and shaking you up.

When you're cutting down toward the floor, try not to cut all the way through the bottom plate (the 2x4 at the bottom of the wall to which the studs are nailed.) If you feel the blade bumping into it, back out just a little bit but remember that most recip saws have a one inch cutting stroke and most baseboard is 3/4" or less in thickness. This means that if you back out too far, the blade can exit the cut completely and that usually ends up in a nasty gouge in the work piece followed by a curse word or two.

So now you know how to plunge your "man tool" with finesse and with little to no collateral damage. It's good to stay in practice but then, I don't have to tell you guys that.

Until next time, this is Aunt May
reminding you to be good to your tools
and they'll be good to you.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, it is only a matter of time before someone discovers your snarkily clever ass.

    Brilliant and delectable, like you always are.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete